Today Ukrainian legislation specifies visa and non-visa conditions of entering Ukraine for foreigners (foreign residents and stateless persons). All visa categories are being processed by governmental and council establishments of Ukraine abroad.
Invitation is not needed for processing visas of B1, B2, S, C and P- types for citizens of EU, Canada, USA, Turkey, Switzerland and Japan.
For citizens of EU, Canada, USA, Turkish republic, Switzerland and Japan entering Ukraine with tourist intention, consular stations can fulfill entering permission in the international airports “Simferopol” and “Odessa”, Odessa commercial seaport for a term of 14 days in the presence of documents confirming tourist intention of the trip.
Citizens of those states with which Ukraine has entered into international agreement of non-visa journeys, enter and leave Ukraine without visas having documents for valid for departure abroad, having insurance policy and properly prepared invitation (in the original) from legal or physical bodies of Ukraine, if other is not predicted by international agreements of Ukraine.
To enter Ukraine visa is not demanded for the citizens of Austria, Andorra, Belgium, Vatican, Hungary, Germany, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Greece, Denmark, Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Italy, Canada, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San-Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, USA, Finland, France, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden, Estonia, and Japan.
Non-visa regime acts for the citizens of Russian Federation and Republic of Belarus according to the Agreements concluded, providing identification and citizenship confirmation documents. Among them are internal and foreign passports. Children under 16 enter Ukraine with the birth certificate, military men – with identify certificate.
There is no permanent resistance permit in Ukraine; in subsistence it is superseded by any long-time visa of corresponding category. For example, business visa (VB) for the persons entering Ukraine as cofounders of joint ventures or representatives of foreign companies has the period of validity from 6 to 12 months.
Private visa (VP) has the six-month period of validity. It is not always convenient. That’s why a question of receiving a document that would allow entering Ukraine or transiting through its territory often arises. Sometimes it is required to move to Ukraine for permanent residence due to personal, business or economic reasons.
But if one entered with a private visa, one can constantly extend it for the three-month period, later if there are reasons, receive unlimited residence permit.
Permanent resident status of Ukraine
Permanent resident status of Ukraine is confirmed by the certificate of permanent residence in Ukraine. This document gives the right of permanent and legal staying in Ukraine, eliminates the need of regular obtaining visa for entering Ukraine or extending the original ones for staying in Ukraine.
Certificate of permanent residence in Ukraine can be received by the following categories of foreign citizens and stateless persons:
- Direct relatives (sisters and brothers, and grandparents) of Ukrainians;
- Persons who had been citizens of Ukraine before;
- Parents, spouses and underage children of the immigrant;
- One of the spouses, if another one (marriage with whom lasted for more than 2 years) is a citizen of Ukraine, children and parents of such citizens of Ukraine;
- Persons received refugee status and have been living in Ukraine for more than 3 years, also their parents, spouses and underage children;
- Science and culture agents;
- Highly qualified specialists;
- Investors if the investment amount into Ukrainian economy is more than 100 000 USD.
Receiving the status of permanent resident of Ukraine proceeds in 2 steps:
- Registration in Ukraine at the residence place of immigrant or inviting person;
- Receiving certificate of permanent residence.
List of documents for receiving permanent residence in Ukraine
List of documents required for getting a permanent residence in Ukraine differs for each category of applicants. For example, for those having direct relatives – citizens of Ukraine – it is required to provide documents confirming their kinship with Ukrainian citizens, fact of living on the territory of Ukraine, convictions absence, and medical certificates.
RECEIVING THE STATUS OF CITIZEN OF UKRAINE
Ukrainian citizenship can be received in a simplified order (confirmed) by the following categories of foreign and stateless citizens:
- Direct relatives (native sisters and brothers, and grandparents) of citizens of Ukraine;
- Persons who had been Ukrainian citizens before;
- Some other categories for which Ukrainian legacy allows such simplified possibility.